Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:55:14 -0400

I don't get this.

If I showed my client that they'd been victim to 25 vulnerabilities, and the cumulative cost of the exploits was $6.4M, I'd get his attention fast.

I think the point you might make is that it's comforting for a client who has no security clue to see a large report showing all the many problems his company had *before* you audited its network, and then showing that same client a very much smaller list showing the results of your tireless effort to eliminate the vulnerabilites through patching and re-configuration.

"It was dangerous and now it's safe" is much easier for a 3rd party to sell than it is for a security insider to sell "The reason we haven't had an incident in the past 6 months is because we've used our copious security budget to keep the network safe"