Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem

From: "Bill Royds" <broyds () rogers com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:21:43 -0400

Anecdote.

A number of years I was working in support for a agricultural research facility.
We often got requests for "please create a file with all crop yield data from Manitoba for 1964-1974 for fields that
used ...", standard database retrieval stuff, but the data set, being huge, was on magnetic tapes on an IBM mainframe,
not in a database. Standard procedure for the support staff was to write a Fortran program to run on the mainframe with
hardcode field values to extract the data into a file.
  Being new and figuring that this was silly, I wrote a script that prompted the user for which years, conditions etc.
needed to be extracted, created the JCL for a standard MVS utility to extract the file and gave the script to the users
who requested the data.
   My boss, who had been padding his tasks accomplished report for years with these extracts was furious. I had just
cut his "productivity" by 2/3 and he was very upset.

  I see the same attitude among a lot of management. Their view of activity is getting brownie points, not actually
achieving results. That is why they like IDS on the Internet side of a firewall. More noise pads "attacks stopped"
reports.