Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Napster..

From: poke <poke () sven silverlink net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:47:37 -0800 (PST)

I'm sure many people here have had to deal with napster at one level
or another but today I discovered something rather unsettling, as a
napster user - a person can receive a file from you whereby your
client makes the outgoing connection.  What irritates me is that your
client is being active rather than passive in an action that you
haven't initiated.

Unless you have found a way to force a connection that was not requested,
what you said is not a problem (I'm not even sure why it would be
unsettling). You still have to make the download "request", that the other
side serves up to you. It makes perfect sense that the person who is
sending the file acts as the server and your application is now the
client. It goes both ways since each can send each other files.

How else would you propose a file be sent from one machine to another?
Someone has to be the server and it might as well be the person "serving"
the file.

-Chuck