Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Napster..

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:33:55 -0500

In message <200102181054.VAA26595 () avalon reed wattle id au>, Darren Reed writes
:

I'm sure many people here have had to deal with napster at one level
or another but today I discovered something rather unsettling, as a
napster user - a person can receive a file from you whereby your client
makes the outgoing connection.  What irritates me is that your client
is being active rather than passive in an action that you haven't
initiated.

Yes -- that's the "push" feature.  Gnutella has a similar feature.

I gave a talk at NDSS on the security aspects of Napster and Gnutella.
Slides are at http://www.research.att.com/~smb/talks/NapsterGnutella/index.htm