Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Napster..

From: "Steven Osman" <sosman () terratron com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:02:30 -0500

Darren,

This is so that people behind firewalls can share file with Napster.  The
firewall does not have to allow incoming connections, and it can still work.
I wouldn't be particularly paranoid/concerned about it by itself, after all,
the alternative is to allow incoming connections to your network.

If you're concerned that people may be able to manipulate Napster into
uploading the wrong files, the same applies if the connection were incoming.

If, on the other hand, you're concerned about file sharing and people using
Napster...  Then it incoming and outgoing connections shouldn't matter to
you.

Steven Osman
President
Terratron Technologies Inc.