Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Lucent Managed Firewall

From: Graham Allan <allan () physics umn edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:16:36 -0500

I've been using the LMF for a little while. I don't claim to be any
kind of firewall expert, but here are my impressions.

I believe that PIX et al have some application-level awareness (for ftp
etc). LMF doesn't do this. It's really an ipfilter-like approach
(although if you read the docs it can offload SMTP and HTTP content
checking to external proxies, at additional cost - I haven't examined
those). It has some simple hooks (dependancy masks) to enable passing
of weirder protocols like realaudio and H.323 (the latter I have not
tried).

What's nice about LMF...

It operates as a bridge rather than a router. For my application, I
wanted to stay out of the routing business, so that can be a plus.

The management looks as if it should scale well. You can use one
management server to control many LMF bricks, and delegate policy
management to other users (you also have fairly good control over what
you delegate and what you keep control of).

The LMF Brick itself is very invisible to the network. Also the fact
that the firewall is based on Inferno, which is by design somewhat
resistant to buffer overflows and such software defects, is a
reassuring thing (no guarantee, but a nice feature none the less). The
management server itself lives behind a dedicated port of the LMF, so
the NT or Solaris server it runs on is not exposed to either the world
or your internal network (other than through the https management
port). I guess I'm a CLI bigot by instinct, but I have no real
complaints about the firewall's GUI interface.

It seems to handle a 100Mbit connection without problems. We
tested traffic throughput using netpipe and found it had little impact
(this probably isn't a useful measurement on a firewall - number of
sesssions and packets may be more relevant - but we did it for fun
anyway).

We found a few small quirks in the beta version of LMF 5.0. Lucent
engineers were very helpful and responsive. Lucent's sales are harder
to deal with, on the other hand. It has been a long hard road trying to
buy anything.

I hope this helps, although I'm sure there are many things I haven't
addressed...

Graham