Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Lucent Managed Firewall

From: <adam () fscinternet com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 11:19:38 -0400

 I've been working with the LMF for a while now, and I'm quite
impressed with
it.  Just the fact that it functions as a bridge is impressive in
itself!

 I personally think it's a great product.  It allows for management of
huge numbers
of firewalls quite easily, including software upgrades, etc.  Upgrading
the software on
6 remote firewalls took about 10 minutes total!  Try that with FW1 or
Gauntlet!  The VPN
setup for client->lan is especially cool; It includes IKE Mode Config,
and the client
software is painless to set up and get going.

The LSMS v4.1 (Lucent Security Management Server) interface is well
done, and I've heard
the new 5.0 release is even better.  Lucent's concept of 'Zones' takes
some getting used
to for people used to other commercial firewall packages, but is really
very efficient once
you wrap your brain around it.

 Take a look at this document, it shows some of the cool stuff you can
do when your firewall
is a bridge :)

http://www.bell-labs.com/user/tal/papers/NETA99/FireBridge/FireBridge.html

   Adam Shiffman - adam () fscinternet com