Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Token based OTP: SafeWord or SecurID?

From: Vin McLellan <vin () shore net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 01:49:38 -0400

Hi Kevin:

1. I, for one, would be very interested in the logic by which you determined that CryptoCard and Axent's Defender/WebDefender were not viable choices for you or your client.

2. I remember reading your Bugtraq post last year about how a flawed random number generator in Gauntlet/FWTK made the RNG's Challenge -- and thus the encrypted responses from individual Challenge/Response tokens -- predictable.

Can you give us an update on what happened in the aftermath of your post?

3. Did you form any opinions about Michal Zalewski's suggestions on BugTraq last month that ActivCard's encrypted "Responses" were predictable? (Search for the subject "swc / ActivCard" in the August Bugtraq archive: <http://www.securityfocus.com/>)

(I've been a consultant to SDTI and RSA for many years, and I've never liked so-called "synchronous" Challenge/Response tokens, but I found myself defending ActivCard against Mr. Zalewski's allegations when Zalewski wouldn't demonstrate or even document the predictive talent he had claimed.)

4. Care to offer any more information about the context in which you plan to use either SecurID or SafeWord? I might be able to offer some arguments about the relative strengths of RSA's ACE/SecurID, and I'm sure others might do the same for SCC's SafeWord, but context might help.

        Regards,
                _Vin

Vin McLellan
The Privacy Guild