Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Token based OTP: SafeWord or SecurID?

From: Rick Smith <rick_smith () securecomputing com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:22:46 -0500

--On Monday, September 18, 2000 11:30 AM -0500 kadokev () msg net wrote:

I just recently noticed that unlike SecurID, SafeWord has no provision to
use a PIN in combination with their key fob 'Safeword Silver 2000' token,
so they are out of the running.

I've been told that the SecurID PIN is essentially a reusable password, consisting of digits, that's used in conjunction with the key fob. To log in, you enter both the number on the fob and the reusable password.

The advantage is that attackers must work harder -- they must first intercept a successful login to retrieve the reusable part and then steal the fob to get the one time part. Furthermore, it involves less hardware since the fob doesn't need a keypad.

On the other hand, it makes the PIN weaker since it can be sniffed. Does anyone think this matters?

Disclaimer: I work for Secure Computing, which builds SafeWord. I want to be sure I understand the relevant difference between the two.

Rick.
smith () securecomputing com         roseville, minnesota