Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall recommendations please

From: miko () client-server co at
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:07:05 +0200

Ooops, you understand me wrong!
May be my english isn´t good enough?

From:                   Jeffery.Gieser () minnesotamutual com
Subject:                Re: [fw-wiz] Firewall recommendations please
To:                     miko () client-server co at, ark () eltex ru, darren.mackay () uq net au,
        firewall-wizards () nfr com
Date sent:              Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:41:03 -0500

<Flame On>
#BUT, you should imagine, that some companies has no more than one or
maximum
#two of "knowing people"

Some companies may but if you want a list of experienced professionals at
Secure Computing I will give it to you and it will be a LOT more than two
people.  Don't try to insinuate lack of technical experience when you don't
even know the company you are talking about.

I haven´t mean SecureComputing or any Manufacturer - I mean the Enduser-
companies who have several times no more than one or two technicans and these
guys have to do other things as to controll Firewalls all the time.

 I seem to remember that
Borderware was bought by Secure Computing several years ago and they just
sold it again last year.
(was two years)
Secure had the source code looked at it, sold the
product for a while, and determined that the Sidewinder was a much better
product.
(??) It´s different I would say.

They have also made SecureZone  as a result of the experiance with BorderWare, and
they have made also Firewall for WinNT - both are also obsolet as they finished with
BorderWare or canceld Protect.
Sidewinder is well if you like to have your hands deep inside and have the professional
for.
And is well for consulants, who have to support this because you can earn a lot of
money...

#at nobody can normaly make something dangerous - the firewall is allways
stable and #fit.(sure, you can open all ports - but...)BW has the highest
security-level (EAL4) at #time of all Firewalls and wasn´t hacked in
several years.

You can do dangerous things on any firewall (including Borderware and
Sidewinder).  I suppose since you claim that Borderware hasn't been hacked
in several years that is was hacked at one time.  Well Secure Computing
claims the Sidewinder has never been hacked.  Guess what.  Both of those
are MARKETING statements.  They don't really mean a thing unless the
company is willing to sign a statement guaranteeing that the firewall they
sold you will never be hacked.

right, but I haven´t seen or found any hacked BorderWare (I haven´t seen also a
hacked Sidewinder)
(we are using Sidewinder as well as BorderWare and my collegue is certified for)

#Hardened BSD-based OS, Application and OS is one and the same thing - no
way to
#get access at the OS at any time

The Sidewinder has a trusted operating system based on BSDI, the app and
the OS are the same thing, and it has a command line for REAL firewall
admins who want to get down and dirty.  How can you troubleshoot a UNIX box
if you don't have a command line?
Sidewinder is much more complex and usefull for much more complex solutions?

Borderware is for user who want to be high secure, but don´t need to have a lot of
flexibility
The world isn´t full of REAL firewall Admins or we would not have the need of a GUI,
firewalls based on NT and something more.

We have to protect the productivity. A firewall is a tool, nothing more.
If we have the need to spend a lot of time for a tool, may be the tool is the wrong one.

I expect firewalls running on asics fast and simple for most professions like Netscreen
do.

I agree with you, that it will give some needs for high-end firewall but this is not the
standard needs.

Greetings

<FLame Off>

Regards,
Jeffery Gieser

Michael Kohl
Client-Server EDV

Client-Server EDV und Elektronik HandelsGmbH & Co KG
K.H. Waggerlgasse 27 -29            A-2603 Felixdorf
Tel:02628/61313 Fax:DW35 Mail:miko () client-server co at
           http://www.client-server.co.at
Besuchen Sie auch von uns gesponsorte Sites:
 www.biotop.at => Tier & Pflanzenserver für Exoten
 www.Interdrive.com => die besten Links der Welt
 www.fun.co.at => für vergnüglichen Zeitvertreib