Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Implementing PIX Failover over a Fibre link?

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () tla org>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:15:41 -0700

--On 09/14/00 11:39:04 AM +0100 gary.smith () ScottishAmicable co uk wrote:

We have a requirement for multi-site resiliance for one of our customers
Extranet sites and I would ideally like to have the 2 PIX firewalls
communicating in the active-passive failover mode, however, the two sites
are approximately 2 miles distant from one another.  The question is, can
2 PIX firewalls operate across a fibre link in failover mode, and if so,
how?

Today, this is not possible (at least, not easily). The PIX failover cable is a serial cable with some high/low pins to determine primary/secondary and box "upness". Cisco keeps claiming that they'll have a network-based failover cable, but it hasn't happened yet.

--
Carson