Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Implementing PIX Failover over a Fibre link?

From: Enkhyl <enkhyl () pobox com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:00:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, John Adams wrote:

All of these failover issues are yet another reason to stop using the
PIX. We're considering going to multiple Lucent Bricks with a alteon
box on each side of the bricks. This eliminates the failver
timeout/delay and closing of open connections should a firewall die.
It's far more expensive though, and it's too bad the prices of the
Bricks are not more competitive with the dual pix solution.

On the subject of Lucent Bricks, I've been using these beasts for close
to two years, and I've been happy with them as firewalls.

For firewall redundancy and load balancing, the Bricks have been tested
with Radware's Fireproof and Foundry's ServerIrons, and I believe all
three companies issued press releases to that effect.

It might be something worth looking into, but YMMV.

--
Christopher Nielsen
(enkhyl|cnielsen)@pobox.com