Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Implementing PIX Failover over a Fibre link?

From: John Adams <jna () retina net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:54:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000 gary.smith () ScottishAmicable co uk wrote:

We have a requirement for multi-site resiliance for one of our customers
Extranet sites and I would ideally like to have the 2 PIX firewalls
communicating in the active-passive failover mode, however, the two sites
are approximately 2 miles distant from one another.  The question is, can 2
PIX firewalls operate across a fibre link in failover mode, and if so, how?

Thanks for any and all help

Nope. The failover is done through the use of a serial cable, which isn't
going to make it for the distances you need.

Your best bet is to use BGP and set up the routers to handle the site
failover, not the PIXes.

-john

--
J. Adams                                        http://www.retina.net/~jna
You are supposed to be a consumer, a black hole for goods, advertising and