Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Checkpoint for internet access

From: Bill Van Emburg <bve () quadrix com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:46:43 -0400

I can second that opinion.  I have a customer who has been running FW-1
for a couple of years now where the firewall is not the default route
for internal traffic.  It was actually put in for a specific
application, but has since seen modifications to allow some traffic to
travel to the Internet through it, without changing the internal
network's default route.

That said, FW-1 was definitely written with that presumption in mind, so
you do run into some trouble when it is NOT the default route for
internal hosts.  To solve one problem, in particular, we had to reverse
NAT the entire Internet!
--

                                     -- Bill Van Emburg
                                        Quadrix Solutions, Inc.