Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Checkpoint for internet access

From: "Zarcone, Christopher" <Christopher.Zarcone () netigy com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:41:51 -0700

Andrew,

If it weren't for your default route, your firewall configuration would be
considerably uglier. Don't think firewalls, think IP routing...

If you want to send a packet to a specific network, your routing devices
(including your firewalls) need to know how to get to that network. That
information, as you know, comes in the form of routes. A route tells a
router where to send packets for a given destination. If you want to reach
Network A, for example, your router needs a route specifically for Network
A.

Now let's expand this example to the entire Internet. There are literally
millions of different networks on the Internet, the configuration of which
is changing all the time. As an Internet firewall, your firewall potentially
needs to reach ALL of these networks. As such, it needs to have a route for
ALL of these networks. You have two choices here:

- Use BGP to obtain the entire Internet routing table from your ISP. (Last
time I checked, there are over 100,000 entries in the Internet routing
table, and they consume many megabytes of memory).
- Have a single default route to your ISP. Default route is where your
firewall sends all packets in the absence of more specific routes. (This
results in a single entry in your routing table).

Which alternative looks better to you? I know which looks better to me. The
main principle here is route aggregation.

I think your issues with Check Point have less to do with default routes,
and more to do with stateful packet filtering (versus the proxies with which
you are more familiar). And that brings about a good point, how were your
proxies and SOCKS-based servers configured to reach the Internet? What did
their routing tables look like? I don't imagine that they were speaking
BGP...

Regards,

Christopher Zarcone, CISSP
Senior Consultant
christopher.zarcone () netigy com

Netigy Corporation
www.netigy.com

My opinions do not necessarily represent the opinions of my employer.

Message: 15