Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Checkpoint for internet access

From: "Kalat, Andrew (ISS Atlanta)" <akalat () iss net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:50:02 -0400

Heh. Okay then. Let me paint a little picture.

You have a proxy based firewall. You have full dynamic routing internally.
You configure all boxes to use the perimeter proxy server. <web and whatnot>
You only allow through services that the proxy server knows how to proxy.
You have no need for default routes on your network because all hosts only
talk to your own address space. I've seen plenty of networks like this.  Of
course your proxy has to have a default router to your perimeter router, but
the question that Andrew Bernoth was asking had more to do with having to
establish defaulting routing within his network. At least, that's how I read
it.

Further, careful who you flame and how you judge them. There are all sorts
of issues that come up when you start challenging credibility in a public
forum such as this. Not that I really need to justify my abilities to you,
but I would hate the other respected folks on this list to decide my
thoughts are less worthy based on your flame. I've been working with routing
and firewalls for many years. I feel quite qualified to comment on all
manner of items relating to TCP/IP and checkpoint. With all due respect, I
think I'll continue my job running all the networks and firewalls for my
company, contrary to what you may feel is appropriate.

Andrew J. Kalat,                | Voice: (678)443-6000
IT Infrastructure Manager       | Fax:   (678)443-6484
Internet Security Systems, Inc. | E-Mail: akalat () iss net
6600 Peachtree-Dunwoody Road    | http://www.iss.net/
300 Embassy Row, Suite 500      | PGP key available.
Atlanta, GA 30328               |