Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Web Stuff

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry () piermont com>
Date: 09 Aug 1999 17:49:51 -0400

CRZYJSTR () aol com writes:
Hey I was wondering what vulnerabilities there would be on a web server
running on SunOS 5.6. My friend is running a server, and he was just curious
how a hacker just might need to do to hack the webpage... can you please
explain how one actually gains access and changes stuff so he can learn
different methods to stop them?

That is sort of like saying "I'm wondering what sort of diseases a
human being might get, and how they are all cured". The topic is
extremely broad.

In general, however, the easiest way to break a web server is because
of incompetent CGI script coding. On systems with that fixed, one
generally attacks the web server software itself. The system will also
be subject to any number of attacks on the machine independent of the
web services, of course, including (since this is a sun) about a half
million problems with various RPC based servers, like rpc.lockd...

Perry