Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: password aging

From: "KirkAdams" <Kirk-Adams () email msn com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 00:19:02 -0400

Well.. my old days might help on this one. Here's my $0.02 and I TOTALLY
agree with the gentlemen on the CC line,

OLD RULES,

1) Maintain a password listing of six prior passwords. Do not allow
personnel to use the same password for more than 30 days or any password on
the list.
*This implies that a password must be at least 7 months old to be recycled.*

2) Ensure passwords do not consist of birthdays or names or initials or
combinations thereof.

3) Passwords may not be written down.

4) etc.. etc..

        Right...  good luck!!

That said.. here's my advice..

First, Carefully evaluate your information security need. What needs
protected? Who needs access? How much are you willing to spend in time and
money to protect it?

Second, NO ONE picks a hard to remember password. This automatically reduces
or elimates their value. Therefore assign passwords.

Third, a password works best (against casual hacking) if it is cryptic.. ie.
case sensitive upper/lower and letter/number combinations of at least 10
characters. However.. these are too long for most people to remember and so
get written down. If it's written down you've broken a major security rule
and it's likely other people will (at some point) read the password.
Therefore, you must keep them at about 6 chars (do not include symbols) and
INSIST that a written password is grounds for serious consequences, even
termination.

Fourth, if you change passwords every 30 days they'll be written down again.
BUT, a password in use for more than 30 days gives anyone trying to hack
their way into a system more time to work with the same password.. so you
must compromise. If you assign a new password every 75 days this gives you
about 5 passwords a year and still keeps the troops from getting sloppy.

Fifth, You must implement a password attempt tracking system. Keep log files
and lock out accounts after 3 wrong password attempts. Monitor for unusual
activity.

The above requires ALOT of work to maintain so make sure you evaluate the
need for tight security before implementing a system that consumes lots of
time. If you do implement.. make sure you support it with sufficient staff.
Without maintenance the system will quickly break down again. For increased
security you can just increase the # of chars in password or decrease the #
of days the password is valid.

The maximum security this provides is relative to the fact that it is
"password" based. For greater security implement software encryption. For
still GREATER security implement hardware encryption.

Good luck,

Kirk Adams