Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: password aging

From: Adam Shostack <adam () weathership homeport org>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:27:00 -0400

        Several people have suggested this, some in private mail.  If
you store old passwords in a different format than the OS, you may
well be opening up a security vulnerability.

        Here, I can trial passwords as l0phtcrack does, because you're
storing a hash, and forgot the salt.  Its likely that even with a
salt, you're still vulnerable to a faster attack than UNIX crypt.  So,
if you're implementing this stuff, be careful.