Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Network cables as security devices

From: "KirkAdams" <Kirk-Adams () email msn com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 23:39:31 -0400

Network packets usually require a fair amount of handshaking, thus making
them difficult to terminate the receive side of connection.

But, there is the possibility of using 2 serial ports to exchange
information with the "isolated" machine mentioned below. Just terminate the
receive line on one port and the transmit line on the other port. This
forces communications to go through WHATEVER handling script you choose to
activate to monitor the ports.

If the two machines are physically co-located the line speeds can be
sufficient for all uses except large file transfers, and maybe even then.

This configuration has been used on "secured" computing systems I've worked
on in the past.
E-Mail for more details.

Kirk Adams
BitStream Communications