Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: password aging

From: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 98 15:13:12

Below is a really radical idea, I think.

--- On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 12:08:14 -0500  Rick Smith
<rick_smith () securecomputing com> wrote:

<...>

If strong authentication is essential and you've got a large and diverse
user community (like a bank) then you're better off with one time password
systems. The down side is that systems with hardware based tokens
(SmartCard, SecureID, etc) tend to cost about $100 per seat to install.

Unfortunately you are correct. AFAIK that is about the current cost.  I
wish there were some sort of Open Source (tm) hardware effort providing low
cost hardware tokens. Another option is smart cards.  Employers are
beginning to use smart cards in ID cards and readers for keyboards are
comming down in price.  Maybe that is an avenue (what about laptop
readers)?  Until prices go down enough how about considering (at least as a
starting point for discussion) a radical suggestion: telling employees that
they have two choices: use the difficult passwords or invest $xx in a token
to make life easier.  That is, mightn't employees be willing to pay some
cash to make their life easier?
<...>

I've been looking at authentication applications a lot recently and it's
interesting that no single technique really fits all applications. Cost
and
usability are always essential considerations, and you have to take into
account the potential shortcuts users might take when the system gets in
the way of Real Work.

This is a big issue with all security in general.  At some point the trade
off of security over convenience becomes so great that the users will try
to find a way to circumvent the policy.

So much of security boils down to authentication that maybe we need a whole
list on it (or maybe we need to move this discussion to phil-sec, if that
list is still alive).

Rick.
smith () securecomputing com

--john