Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network cables as security devices

From: Damir Rajnovic <Damir.Rajnovic () eurocert net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:31:43 +0100

Hell there,

At 16:16 -0500 19/8/98, Bruce K. Marshall wrote:
[snip]

   The "T"'s and "R"'s represent tip and ring -- or transmit and receive
-- on the cable, so you could assume that by disconnecting pins 1 and 3 you
would only eliminate any unwanted transmissions by your system.

   In practice, this terminates all network traffic and not just
transmissions.  Disconnecting any one of the four wires results in no
connection at all to the machine.

You have to terminate disconnected ends with 120OHM (or so) resitor.
Depending on your configuration you don't allways have to put termination
on both ends but I'll suggest that you put it anyway.

We made one small box with resistors inside and a two RJ connectors on it
so that you can plug 'ordinary' Ethernet cables into it and achieve that
kind of isolation.

Cheers,

Gaus

EuroCERT                                tel: (+44 1235) 822 382
c/o UKERNA                              fax: (+44 1235) 822 398
Atlas Centre
Chilton, Didcot
Oxfordshire OX11 0QS, UK