Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Network cables as security devices

From: "Andrew J. Luca" <andrewluca () mediaone net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 08:41:48 -0400

In 1993 we did this at one of my former employers.  We initially tried and
failed just as you did and you are correct that this is due to the link
integrity checking present in most 10Base-T adapters.  There are a couple of
ways around this.  First, you could simply turn this off.  Many adapters and
workstations allow this to be set as an option.  The other choice is to use
an outboard transceiver (Yes, they still make these) through an AUI
connector.  You can cut the pins on the circuit board in order to prevent
the transmit back to the host.  This worked for us on a 10Base-2
transceiver.

        The other option with which we had limited success is to connect the other
pair to a false hub.  This way, the host has the ability to transmit but is
transmitting somewhere else.  This is a kludge but works to complete the
circuit in a way that the card will like.

        Your other option would be to figure out how to simulate the transmit
signal and install this circuit with proper resistance to simulate the other
hub.  This is cleaner but is much more complicated (and likely more
expensive) than the kludge.

Just my opinion.
Drew