Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re:password aging

From: "Harvey Nusz" <Harvey_Nusz () administaff com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:06:00 -0500

Adam, no paper per se (to my knowledge), but industry/ good sense practice, and
any limitations of the software package/ storage space involved.  Generally, a
year is preferred.  Also, watch out for people changing it 12 times in one hour/
day, just to use be able to use the same PW again, contiguously.  The better
"packages" let you limit users changing it before, say, 10 days, unless it is
needed (user has concerns about it being compromised).  Also, hopefully,
monitoring can find those consistently changing their PW after 10 days, or
whatever the minimum is, to go back to their original PW or to their one
alternative PW (that they switch back and forth between).

Hope this helps.  Harvey
800.242.8893, ext. 3923