Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Q on external router

From: "Rodney van den Oever" <roever () nse simac nl>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:20:23 +0200

Thus, in my opinion (but have a look at my email address to see
that I could be biased ;-) ), the switch can increase the DMZ security
if:
- it uses static mapping
- as you put part of your security in the switch configuration, you
  must obviously secure your switch config (OTP, ACL, management via
  console only, ...)

What about problems that fault the switch itself? We have seen bugs that
crash 3Com switches due to poor IP stack implementation; Cisco is aware of

If I may barge in on this, as far as I know a layer three switch only has an
IP-stack for management purposes. The actual switching is done in hardware.

--
Rodney van den Oever / 066 166 - 0318 623047 / PGP Key ID 0x0A6CCE53
'Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to