Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Q on external router

From: Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy () alcatel com au>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 07:16:24 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 03:25:14 -0400 (EDT), Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org> wrote:
Vinci Chou wrote:
| I am wondering if any one can share his/her experience of using a switch
| in the DMZ.
      Do not rely on switches because switches are not designed for
security.

Whilst I don't use switches in a DMZ, I do have a datapoint from an
internal system I administer.  I once took some measurements and found
that 2.2% of the packets received by a machine on its own switchport
were unicast packets not intended for it (based on 9 1/2 hours of
measurements, capturing just over 4e6 packets).

Since I was looking at performance, rather than security, I didn't
bother examining the unexpected packets in detail.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy () alcatel com au
Alcatel Australia Limited