Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Q on external router

From: darrenr () reed wattle id au
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 19:42:40 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from tqbf () secnet com, sie wrote:

  Do not rely on switches because switches are not designed for
security.

    Based on that logic, there's just about nothing you CAN
rely on, except death, taxes, and sendmail bugs.

I don't think that's very fair. It seems obvious to me that some systems
have more attention paid to them for security (VMailer, for instance) than
others (like Sendmail). My confidence in VMailer is much greater than my
confidence in Sendmail, to the point where I'd be willing to consider
deploying VMailer in circumstances where Sendmail's lack of reliability is
prohibitive.

And you're being more fair than Marcus ?  Sendmail's origins are well know.
When it was written, it wasn't written with security as the #1 focus and the
next major release (8.9) is being touted as primarily anti-spam - i.e. it's
not being sold for its security.  Why not ?  Because to many people, correct
delivery of email is far more important than the program being "secure".
I'd even go so far as to say that delivery of email across the Internet is
still more important than WWW.

The point being a secure product is no good if it doesn't work correctly
100% (or close to) of the time.

Darren