Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: HTTP in practice

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 05:23:14 -0700

On Mon, Sep 22, 1997 at 09:29:38PM -0400, Greg Haverkamp wrote:
[...]
- Our product, eRoom, runs in a web browser on 95 or NT using pre-installed
(i.e., not run-time downloaded) ActiveX controls, JavaScript, and HTML.
- Some data passes as a custom application type, sent as Content-Type:
application/x-eRoom, from both POSTs and GETs.

Interesting questions you raise. I started to launch off one answer, then came
up with a completely different one.

The most important thing is for you to identify a target market, and then ask
this sort of question of _them_. I don't know how many of firewall-wizards lie
in your target market, and that's the real question.

Your target market is going to (a) be tolerant of Windows 95 and Windows NT
--- won't regard their use as an automatica condemnation; (b) likewise
tolerate at least the mention of Active-X and JavaScript, and (c) be
interested in your sort of groupware. The opinions of that crowd are the only
ones you need to worry about.

Offhand, I'd guess that you won't be doing much with Wall St. firms, you may
get some interest from tiny startups that haven't worried about internet
security, and that the bulk of potential customers will be connecting to the
internet through ISPs rather than work connections. But that's just my guess.

-Bennett