Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: HTTP in practice

From: Justin Mason <jmason () iona com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 12:03:04 +0100

Greg Haverkamp said:

Now, given what I've read, I would expect 1) to be blocked fairly
regularly, possibly even on intranets.  I would expect ActiveX controls to
regularly be blocked; but would 2) be the method?  Or should I expect
blocking the be done via Content-Type?  Or perhaps a combination of both?
And, frankly, I don't know what to think of 3).  Generally, I would expect
a well-configured firewall  or proxy to block 3) until it's told otherwise.
Is this off-base?

A good approach may be to convince the bigwigs that what's needed to deal
with the "firewall problem" is a firewall proxy product which
can proxy your protocol successfully. This is the approach our company
(IONA, for the CORBA IIOP protocol) have taken.

Of course, the code for the proxy would need to be written appropriately;
so since you're the firewall admin, go for a job in product development
writing it!

... that's what I did anyway, ;)

--j.

Justin Mason              They laughed at Einstein.  They laughed at the Wright
justin_mason () bigfoot com  Brothers.  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
jmason!at!iona!dot!com
www.iona.com/~jmason                                              -- Carl Sagan