Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: HTTP in practice

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 21:53:48 +0000

A) In the "real" world, how often am I likely to encounter
firewalls/proxies doing 1), 2), or 3)?

Fairly often but it'll be unpredictable. My guess is that
companies with networks large enough that they have
dedicated security staff will also have a higher likelihood
of blockage. Companies with small networks and no
full-time admins generally aren't as careful.

B) Based on the sketchy information, could I be missing other possible
sources of blockage?

You *might* have a proxy that mangles your data even
if it lets it through. Some proxies look for "bad URLs" and
possible attack signatures -- and might choose to "fix"
things, thereby making your life miserable.

C) What sort of configurable options are likely be selected in A) or B)
that might allow more specificity to prevent impact?  (e.g., Traffic from
specific servers, etc.)

I dunno. :( You could do something like encode your data
in a "harmless" encoding that the firewall won't look into.
The preceeding was a joke. <-------------
Seriously, though, active content is *coming* and the
firewall model isn't going to survive it unless firewall
builders can come up with a better answer than "you
can't do that!"

D) On a survivability in hell scale, where 1 represents a snowball, and 10
represents Satan himself, where do things likely stand when it comes to
getting configuration changed? (Where, understandably, I am loathe to
change the settings on my firewall, to be sure.)

I'd guess it's about 50/50 -- depends how COOL your
application is!! I noticed a lot of folks "fixed" their
firewalls for real audio pretty quick. It seems to me that
these decisions become market-driven, not security
driven. Which says something unclear but important
about the state of security and the likelihood of a
rosy future.

E) Expecting a decent portion of firewall administrators to be like those I
mentioned above, how restrictive are most commercial firewall products
out-of-the-box?  (i.e., Is my feeling that 3) should be blocked by default
the reality?)

I'd guess that most commercial firewalls, out of the box,
won't block Java/ActiveX unless you tell them to. That may
be a wrong guess, though.

F) Am I safe in assuming that proxies are the most likely candidate for
problems?  (Over, say, Firewall-1 and its ilk?

Safe bet.

The reason is not really anything to do with the design
and implementation difference between proxy firewalls
and traffic inspection firewalls -- it's more to do with the
mindsets of the people who build the different types, and
the people who buy the different types.

mjr.
-----
Marcus J. Ranum, CEO, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
<A HREF=http://www.clark.net/pub/mjr>Personal</A>
<A HREF=http://www.nfr.net>Work</A>
<A HREF=http://www.clark.net/pub/mjr/websec>New Book!!</A>