Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Say it ain't so

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 20:36:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Jim Leo wrote:

installation/Firewall) and was told that every device behind the
firewall would have to 'be touched' for anything to work. It almost
sounds like a complete rework of the network setup/standard. We were
told that all IP addresses would have to be changed. Somehow I get
the impression that this is the installers idea, and I'm not quite
willing to by into it. I feel that it should be possible to 'plug-in'
any properly configured firewall (with the exception of the proxies)
and not have to reconfigure machines.
      Am I wrong?

Probably not.  If you're using illegal IP addresses behind the firewall
though, you __really__ should re-number your machines and do things
properly, this is likely your best chance to do so.  Also, if you're
using CIDR-type subnet masks, and the firewall has an OS version which won't route
classlessly, then if you don't have an inside screening router, you'll have to
re-address to fit classful subnet boundries.  Lastly, if the new security
architecture has some different rules for different machines there may be
some method to re-numbering.

I'd advise going to an IP address management scheme like BOOTP, or DHCP
if you're going to renumber.  It makes things a great deal easier in the
long run.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280