Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: default password

From: Steven Blanc <sblanc () BOWDOIN EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 20:38:58 +0000

We randomly generate a strong password when the account is created.  Historically this has been mailed (postal service)
as part of a welcome packet to the home address of record with instructions to log in and change it.  We've never been
happy with this method, and with the welcome packet becoming digital, we are moving to distributing the passwords
through Slate in the spring.

Steve