Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email encryption and digital signatures

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:00:37 -0500

On 06/08/2010 10:23 AM, Walker, Sam wrote:
I have received a request concerning email encryption and digital
signatures. A quick search found a few companies (such as PGP and
Entrust) that support both requirements. I was curious if anyone had any
opinions and experiences with email encryption and digital signatures in
your current environment. Thanks for your time.

We use a PKI.  http://www.cio.wisc.edu/security/digitalCert/

Contact pki () doit wisc edu if you want more details about our PKI and its practical applications on our campus.

Speaking from an email perspective, I think that we are making good use of S/MIME signing. We strongly encourage all campus mass email messages be digitally signed as a way to distinguish our communications as more trustworthy. S/MIME is built in to most desktop clients, and we set things up so that digitally signed messages show up as special in our web client. The usefulness of email encryption is harder to gauge, since it depends on the work flows of individual groups.

Jesse Thompson
University of Wisconsin-Madison