Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Some tricks to find information quickly on Windows processes, DLLs, and malware

From: James Moore <jhmiso () RIT EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 12:19:49 -0400

This is something that I shared with our systems admins.  It helps in looking for what processes are supposed to do,
and sometimes what processes might be affected by certain types of malware.

I have tuned a variety of search providers in IE and Firefox (Chrome works too, but I haven't tried it).  Both browsers
support the use of opensearch (http://www.opensearch.org/Community/OpenSearch_search_clients ), in fact if you ever
look at the XML code that is generated when you "add search provider" you will see the opensearch format.

There is a website that does the same that is embedded in IE for providing installation generation from an example
search for "TEST". It is http://www.searchplugins.net/generate.aspx   But your mileage may vary, especially when you
get to highly complex URLs.

I will run through setting things up with IE (and I will show you some of the search providers that I have set up, and
why), and then describe how you do that Firefox.  Since Firefox has the capability of being a portable app, you might
want to think about loading the search providers in the version that you carry on your favorite portable media.

*The basics, if you never have done this before.*  In IE, there is a downward arrow beside the search box on the
address bar.  You can pull that down, and it shows "Find More Providers" menu item.  When you select it, it shows in
the current tab, "Add search providers".  On the left are standard search providers, on the right are adding your own
search provider.  The way that you add a search provider is "Create Your Own" to use the word TEST in a search field of
a website's internal search function.  If "TEST" shows up in the URL, you are golden.  You drop the resulting URL in
the URL field, give it a label in the "specify a name for the search provider" field.  And then click the install
button.

Below are the URLs that you can copy, either to generate a search provider for IE, or to generate one through
searchplugins.net for Firefox.  I usually use the site or the site or sub-site description as the label.

Ones that I use are:

File extensions:  filext.com - really Uniblue (formerly liutilties), a Microsoft Gold partner,
                        http://filext.com/file-extension/TEST
                        fileinfo - lists some Mac extensions, no information about who runs it, or how they get their
information
                        http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/TEST

Processes:
                        Neuber (makers of a great little tool called Security Task Manager, like task manager, but does
some ratings of risky behavior, like hidden windows, lack of signed code, etc.  Also shows how processes start)  And in
Security Task Manager, all of the processes are hotlinks to this knowledgebase (which can be searched independently)
                        http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/TEST.html
                        Process Library (also Uniblue/formerly liutilties, a Microsoft Gold partner)
                        http://www.processlibrary.com/search/?q=TEST

AntiVirus Vendors:

                        McAfee - Search the threats (doesn't work well on searchplugins.net)

http://search.mcafee.com/search?q=TEST&site=us_site.Virus&num=10&btnG=Search&entqr=0&type=enterprise&output=xml_no_dtd&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&ie=UTF-8&origin=us&client=default_frontend_us&ud=1&spell=1&oe=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=default_frontend_us&region=us&partialfields=&getfields=description&filter=0

                        McAfee - Not nearly as good, especially since it doesn't sort by date  (Does convert to a
Firefox search - through searchplugins.net)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=TEST&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=vil.nai.com%2Fvil%2Fcontent&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

                        Kapersky - Shows as "securelist" but it is them.  Also shows the hits in
                        Descriptions, analysis, blog, glossary, website pages, secunia
                        http://www.securelist.com/en/find?search_mode=virus&words=TEST&search=Search

                        Secunia General
                        http://secunia.com/search/?search=TEST
                        Secunia Advisories
                        http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=TEST
                        Secunia Forums
                        http://secunia.com/community/forum/all_threads/?forum_search=TEST&iForumID=All_Threads

                        Sophos

http://www.sophos.com/security/analyses/viruses-and-spyware/search-results/?search=TEST&action=search&x=59&y=11

                        Symantec

http://searchg.symantec.com/search?q=TEST&charset=utf-8&nh=10&hitsceil=100&st=1&proxystylesheet=symc_en_US&client=symc_en_US&site=symc_en_US_vir&output=xml_no_dtd&context=hho&x=9&y=7

                        Symantec Virus search

http://searchg.symantec.com/search?q=TEST+security_response&charset=utf-8&nh=10&hitsceil=100&st=1&proxystylesheet=symc_en_US&client=symc_en_US&output=xml_no_dtd&context=hho&x=9&y=7&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&entqr=0&entsp=a&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&ud=1&site=symc_en_US_vir

Rate a website:
                        Web of Trust
                        http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/TEST

Jim
- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Senior Information Security Forensic Investigator
Rochester Institute of Technology
151 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 255-0809 (Cell - Incident Reporting & Emergencies)
(585) 475-7920 (fax)

If you consciously try to thwart opponents, you are already late.  Miyamoto Musashi, Japanese philosopher/samurai, 1645

I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly. Michel de
Montaigne

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any
copies of this information