Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Social Networking Websites...Policies? Procedures?

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 10:47:31 -0400

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:34:17 EDT, "Sarazen, Daniel" said:
We're looking at Social Network Websites (IE: Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and
trying to determine what news risks they may pose (Harassment, Defamation,
Intentional exposure of security vulnerabilities, etc), to our institution
and students and wondering if any of the other schools have develop any
policies or guidance relating to this.

At least one bozo will suggest prohibiting your users from using social
networking sites, even on their own time using personally owned machines.
Deal appropriately with said bozo and all their followers.

Having said that, you'd probably be OK saying "Ya know guys, places like
Facebook have been a major spreading ground for malware, so don't access them
from institution-owned hardware".