Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: Steve Werby <smwerby () VCU EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:30:31 -0400

I've done what Jeff described and with enough users it's not hard to
guess passwords that are used by multiple people.  And if they're a
somewhat homogeneous group, it's even easier.  For university students,
take variations of the school name/nickname/mascot, school city name,
cities where many students are from and most popular local/regional pro
sports teams and I bet you'll guess the passwords for some users.  Then
move on to popular passwords, like the top passwords disclosed in the
RockYou compromise of 32 million accounts.  Depending on your password
policy, you may have to do some number/symbol injections or
substitutions, but there are tools that can do that for you.  I analyzed
the RockYou password file.  You'd just need to enumerate 2,000 strings
to acquire the passwords for 4.7 million of the 32 million users.  I
posted some highlights from the top 2,000 here if you're interested.
http://justifiableparanoia.com/blog/2010/02/22/we-will-we-will-rockyou-a-list-of-firsts/

--
Steve Werby
Information Security Officer