Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: "Koerber, Jeff" <jkoerber () TOWSON EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:34:21 -0400

I agree.  If I can get a list of usernames and know the name of the organization and the password strength policy, I
could come up with a few likely passwords and try them against every account.  Chances are that I will come across at
least one account with that password.  The accounts will never get locked out.

If you have a policy where users have to change their password every xx days, then it reduces the amount of time that
these obvious passwords are in use.

Jeff Koerber
Supervisor, Student Computing Services Lab and Service Desk
Office of Technology Services
Towson University