Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:45:03 -0400

Koerber, Jeff wrote:
I agree.  If I can get a list of usernames and know the name of the
organization and the password strength policy, I could come up with a
few likely passwords and try them against every account.  Chances are
that I will come across at least one account with that password.  The
accounts will never get locked out.

Here's a fun auditing exercise - assuming that your organization uses
some sort of standard schema for generating initial passwords, write a
wordlist and a rule for John the Ripper or something similar that tests
that specific schema. Prepare to be amazed as you realize what a tiny
fraction of users ever change their passwords. Ever.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu