Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Listserv's

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:46:13 -0500

On 2/10/2010 4:05 PM, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
I have the LSoft 20th anniversary shirt that says 'There is only one LISTSERV'.
Eric Thomas told me they paid for the shirts out of their "trademark protection"
budget, not their "advertising" budget - the term hasn't gone generic yet.

The scary part is I've been working with it long enough to know *why* it
was called the 'Revised' Listserv 2 decades plus ago. ;)

Ditto.  It crawled out of IBM VM land many moons ago.

Had a rather neat distribution algorithm too, which was used by more
than mailing lists :-)

Jeff