Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web hosting for Emergency notification/DR

From: "Abels, Margaret R" <mrabels () INDIANA EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:28:35 -0400

I hang out on this security list to keep up with security related items now that I am working mainly on DR/BC
initiatives, so I'll just add that many discussions are happening between institutions on co-hosting each other's DNS
and/or web presence.

There are several lists where these arrangements are discussed on a regular basis such as the Educause BC and the
Educause Salsa DR Internet2 lists. I think Rodney Peterson at Educause can provide some guidance on those resources.

We, our messaging team, has a long standing reciprocal agreement for DNS hosting with another university, but I don't
know the details of that agreement. If you're interested I can see if someone is willing to share the details with you
on what the arrangement is...and how it works.

More recently, our University Public Relations group, has been discussing agreements to host an emergency only web page
for us, should we have a larger regional disaster in the Midwest. I haven't received a status on that effort recently,
so I don't know how that is working out.

It's a hot topic because most of us can't afford a vended solution and partnering makes sense because both institutions
benefit from a readiness perspective. We all need regionally diverse partners to survive the onslaught of terrible
things happening on our campuses today.

Let me know, offline, if you'd like more details about how our agreement works and how the DNS hosting is designed to
work. I'll have to pull another resource, but usually folks are good about sharing things around here, where
appropriate.

Marge

Marge Abels, CISSP
Business Continuity Program Manager
Information and Infrastructure Assurance
Office of the Vice President Information Technology & CIO
Indiana University
812-855-6609