Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Web hosting for Emergency notification/DR

From: Michael Fox <Mfox () GEORGIASOUTHERN EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:55:17 -0400

We are trying to find a hosting site that we can use for emergency/DR purposes. The plan is to have some templates
created for specific situations and have them ready on the hosted site. The hosted site would have a re-direct on it to
our active website for day to day business. During an emergency where we are down or told we will be down (due to
weather, power issues, etc.) we would take off the re-direct, use the template that is created for that specific
situation, point DNS to the hosted site and wait for the propagation.

We are on the east coast and we are susceptible to Hurricane and tornadoes so we are looking for a site that is not as
susceptible to disasters (I know everybody has their own set of disasters to deal with), like out in Utah :).

My problem is that our legal department says that we cannot enter into a contract that has an indemnity clause in it. I
haven't found a hosting (commercial) site that doesn't have this clause and I've asked a few if they would remove it
and got the response, NO.

So I would ask, has anybody done this (with the contract restriction), how, with whom, or what other ways could this be
accomplished?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. (Hurricane season is upon us.)

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Fox
Georgia Southern University
Information Technology Services
Office of Information Security
mfox () georgiasouthern edu
(912)478-1592
Jeremiah 29:11-16

NOTE: This email message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received this message in
error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately contact the
sender and delete this email message.