Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web hosting for Emergency notification/DR

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 10:44:22 -0400

Michael Fox wrote:
We are trying to find a hosting site that we can use for emergency/DR purposes.

We're just bringing one up this week. Our ISP is the Ohio Supercomputing
Center network (formerly OARNet), and they've started a pilot virtual
hosting service for extremely lightweight DR web servers.

To enable the DR web page, we'll change DNS to point to the OSCNet web
server instead of www.oberlin.edu for the duration. For a planned
outage, we reduce the TTL on our record, then push the swap to their
name server (which is secondary to our own) at the appropriate time. In
a real disaster, they can manipulate the zone file at their end. Both
their name server and the DR host are in Columbus, about 200 miles from
Oberlin (and our "expected disasters" all are more limited in geographic
scope than yours, I'm afraid).

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once." -- David Hume.