Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Implementing a Public Key Infrastructure

From: "Cary, Kim" <Kim.Cary () PEPPERDINE EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:01:12 -0800

SiteKey is rather interesting. Basically, you can't put in your password
(no blank for it) until you submit your userid.

resulting password input page:
1) A picture you chose from their set of pictures.
2) A phrase you previously input describing the picture.
They tell you not to put in your password unless you see the picture and
phrase you were expecting.

So, if someone is phish-ing, they have to guess my ID, snarf & load my
tokens into the phishing site in order to properly impersonate the site.