Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Implementing a Public Key Infrastructure

From: "Barbara Chung (DURTSCHI)" <bchung () MICROSOFT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:28:57 -0800

We often think of two-factor as being something-that-you-know and
something-that-you-have, assuming that what you have is on a hardware
token.  I suspect that the banks will be looking at deploying some kind
of cryptographic device (they won't tell anyone of course) on the user's
machine. Bank of America is using something they call SiteKey:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/sitekey/

I don't know if it's a cert (I suspect not), or just some kind of
interesting signed cryptographic token. There are so many ways this
could be done.

Barbara Chung, CISSP, CISM
Security Advisor, Education
917-592-0185