Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Keyloggers in computer labs

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:04:52 -0600

Hmmm.  That sounds promising. I'm not that familiar with
VMWare. Will it work with the free VMWare player? Do you know
what kind of licensing issues there may be? Can we buy just
one copy of VMWare workstation, make lab images, and
distribute them to the labs using the player?

My understanding is that this is legal and approved of,
but I don't work for vmware so check it properly yourself.

Personally I think they gave away too much with that player,
but I'm certainly taking advantage of it myself!  My desktop
is currently running one VPC for web browsing and email
reading, another for Linux R&D, another for Windows-hosted
R&D, and one of those also runs a Vax/VMS emulator (simh) for
legacy work :-)  (I have another image with a full install of
Oracle Server on it for when I'm doing database work, but
I don't run that by default because its a memory pig)

If you're a real cheapskate you can probably build the
images with the eval version of the full product, but
I wouldn't recommend that.  May be legal but it's not
the decent thing to do.  Likewise taking an existing image
under VMWare player and installing a different OS from
within it is just plain cheeky.

(At UTPA we have bought quite a few VMware licenses of
various descriptions so I don't feel at all bad about
taking advantage of their free player)

Graham