Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Firewall Strategies

From: James Meyers <A02JDM1 () WPO CSO NIU EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 15:46:51 -0600

Hi.  I'm new to this list and apologize in advance if this has been
covered before.

Just curious as to other universities success/failures regarding
firewall strategies.  We're trying to architect a strategy to protect
our network, and could benefit from the experiences of others.   Do you
use a perimeter firewall?  Have there been political hurdles to clear in
order to do so?  Do you have areas throwing up their own firewalls?
What complications have you run into with various strategies?

Any input will be appreciated.

Jim Meyers
Manager, IT Security
Northern Illinois University