Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Strategies

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:14:03 -0500

Hopefully things have changed with Cisco's IOS firewall feature set.   When
we attempted to utilize that a couple years ago we had some major issues
with our router.  There was too much competition for resources, even on a
7000 series router with a fairly small user base.  We ended up removing that
function from the router and went with redundant inline PIX firewalls.  This
has worked much better for us.

Like many, we use firewalls to block any uninitiated inbound traffic to our
users.  We do allow most outbound traffic that is initiated by the client,
with the exception of SMTP which we have blocked due to potential SPAM/Virus
issues.  To keep things in check, we also use a PacketShaper to regulate
traffic priorities to ensure key services get optimal bandwidth.  There are
also a host of other things we block in various ways, but I can't go into
that here.

We have not had any kick back what so ever from the campus community.  Most
are very appreciative of our efforts to help protect them.  The added
benefit here is that you will know exactly what is being run on your
network, and can make necessary exceptions when warranted, or kill off
un-needed services.

---
Dave Koontz
Mary Baldwin College