Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Strategies

From: Mark Bauer <mbauer () SKIDMORE EDU>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 13:49:13 -0500

At Skidmore we use a multi-layer defense. The border router stops all IANA reserved addresses as well as some of the
nastier ports that have no real function inside the network. A Packeteer watches over the bandwidth and gives us a
fairly decent look at the inbound. The firewalls are set with the last rule deny. Initially we thought this would have
a huge impact on users, but the fact is most legal inbound traffic is heading for a server or been requested (web pages
etc...) Very few users (around 1%) have firewall rules for themselves (we encourage VPN).

There are no political issues - thanks mostly to Blaster, Nachi and all of their friends since 2003 - as the campus
community realizes what our protections do. Every new outbreak of something helps spread the word about why we need to
lock things down as much as possible without getting in the way of academic freedom or the sharing of information. We
have the policy of - if you request the hole, and it is not a huge security risk (like telnet to a major server) -
we'll open it. It has reduced the tension, and resulted in very few requests. Few don't accept VPN as an alternative to
a firewall hole.

Others do put firewalls up, most notably the Computer Science department, but so far there has been no conflict because
of this. The original reasons for these has been removed - the students are now outsourced to RoadRunner, so their
massively infected computers do not have the access to the network they once had.

We also use an IDP in the Internet path and have stealthwatch inside to watch over things.

Mark Bauer
Network Administrator
Skidmore College