Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Hard Disk Encryption Software

From: Kees Leune <C.J.Leune () UVT NL>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:12:35 +0100

On 01/18/2006 10:14 PM, Mike Hanson wrote:

Hello

We are exploring using either full hard disk encryption or folder level
encryption for our mobile devices. I am curious what products others are
using and your experiences with the product.

We would like to make this added level of security more or less painless
for the end users if possible.

I am pleased with a product call TrueCrypt (www.truecrypt.org).
"Truecrypt is free open-source disk encryption software for Windows
XP/2000/2003 and for Linux", and I have been using it without any
problems for quite a while. From their home page:

Main Features:

    * Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a
real disk.

    * Encrypts an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as USB
flash drive.

    * Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

    * Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary
forces you to reveal the password:

      1) Hidden volume (steganography – more information may be found here).

      2) No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be
distinguished from random data).

    * Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Blowfish (448-bit key), CAST5,
Serpent, Triple DES, and Twofish.
      Mode of operation: LRW  (CBC supported as legacy).

    * Based on Encryption for the Masses (E4M) 2.02a, conceived in 1997.

-Kees

--
Drs. Kees Leune                                 Tilburg University
Researcher                                     Infolab, Room B 738