Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Hard Disk Encryption Software

From: Jeff Giacobbe <giacobbej () MAIL MONTCLAIR EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:24:24 -0500

Mike-

The commercial PGP package can do this (among many other useful
encryption/signing tricks.) Downside is that the price is, IMHO, quite
steep and they don't appear to offer a site license per se - just volume
discounts.

Personally I'm a fan of GnuPG for file and email encryption. It is inter
operable with the commercial PGP (proprietary algorithms not
withstanding) and the Enigmail plugin for Mozilla mail and Thunderbird
is great!  The latest version of Enigmail even includes a basic GUI for
key generation and management.

The downside to GnuPG is that the GUI tools for desktop file/directory
encryption are not at the same level as the commercial offering. I'm
sure others can weigh in on the various pros and cons of both solutions.

Regards,

Jeff Giacobbe
Director of Systems, Security, and Networking
Montclair State University

Mike Hanson wrote:
Hello

We are exploring using either full hard disk encryption or folder level
encryption for our mobile devices. I am curious what products others are
using and your experiences with the product.

We would like to make this added level of security more or less painless
for the end users if possible.

Thanks for your input.

Mike Hanson
The College of St. Scholastica